Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Dry matter requirement for growth and respiration of coconut

Download

A- A+
dyslexia friendly

Articles

Dry matter requirement for growth and respiration of coconut

Authors:

C. S. Ranasinghe ,

Coconut Research Institute, Lunuwila, LK
About C. S.
Plant Physiology Division
X close

R. D. N. Premasiri

Coconut Research Institute, Lunuwila, LK
About R. D. N.
Plant Physiology Division
X close

Abstract

The present study determined the dry matter (DM) requirement for potential growth (PGR), growth respiration (Rg) and maintenance respiration (Rm) of fruits, leaves, stem and root system of adult coconut palms (25-26 years) of Tall x Tall cultivar under resource-unlimiting conditions. The total DM requirement of a palm was about 21 kg/palm/month and 63% of that total was required for growth and respiration of vegetative organs (leaves, stem and roots) whilst the rest (37%) was for fruits. Similarly, the DM required for respiration (62%) was nearly two third of the total requirement of a palm and the balance 38% was required for growth of organs. The total dry matter requirement (TDMR) of individual fruits varied with developing stage and TDMR of fruits / palm varied between months and years depending on the fruit load of different development stages. Irrespective of the year, TDMR of fruits was highest during November to February (about 10-11 kg/palm/month) and lowest in June-July (about 5-6 kg/palm/month). However, the DM requirement of vegetative organs (a total of approximately 13 kg/palm/month) did not vary between months.
How to Cite: Ranasinghe, C.S. & Premasiri, R.D.N., (2016). Dry matter requirement for growth and respiration of coconut. COCOS. 21, pp.21–31. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/cocos.v21i0.5806
Published on 19 Oct 2016.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus